Sunday, October 16, 2011

"Howard Roark laughed." - The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Howard Roark laughed at me as the kids on the playground hit me. Howard was the schools biggest bully. He was plump and dirty and always had an evil grin on his face. Every kid in my second grade class was afraid of him, especially me. But one day everything changed. I was sitting on the swing set when all of the sudden a hefty voice from above said, "Josh that's my swing set." My eyes opened the farthest they could go and I didn't know what to say. Then before I knew it every kid had turned and was starring at Howard and I. There were a million things going on inside my head. Should I give Howard the swing set or not? I looked at Howard and said, "No Howard I was here first." Howard's face turned red like a tomato and before I knew it he was coming after me. With a whole audience of second graders watching I had to think fast. I was still on my swing set and I had a plan. I kicked off with my feet and began to sway slightly. My feet felt like they were on fire but I kept on going. When Howard came close enough I lunged at him with full force off the swing set. I landed right on him as he fell to the ground. All of a sudden the teacher peered around the corner. I quickly went back to the swing set and acted natural. When the teacher found Howard on the ground crying that I had jumped on him the teacher took him to the nurse and me to the principals. That day I got a phone call home saying what I had done. My parents grounded me for a week. I was scared about the next day at school. I was at my desk when Howard walked up to me and said, "I didn't know you were that tough Josh. I'm sorry that I was mean to you." Those words coming out of Howard's mouth was music to my ears. That day every kid that walked by me said hi and I felt great. Although I was grounded for a week the glory of being the schools hero would last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment