Tuesday, December 20, 2011

TU TUESDAY

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Seattle-cat-is-fine-after-11-story-fall-2413184.php

I picked this article because the story caught my eye. I always knew that cats could leap and jump high and land but eleven stories? Wow, this is amazing. One of the figurative language is imagery. I get an image in my head when I read, "A long-haired, 10-year-old house cat, Baxter had just moved into a downtown Seattle high-rise in early October, when his owners cracked open the windows without realizing there were no screens. The cat nudged a window open, stepped onto a ledge and fell." I know its not a pretty picture to invision but I pictured Baxster hopping on the ledge. Another example of figurative language is hyperbole. The sentence, "The latest famous feline to emerge is Baxter, a Seattle cat who fell from an 11th-story window, survived, and is now back to "running and jumping," says his owner. It is a hyperbole because no cat can fall from that high and then be running and jumping. The cat that actually fell was hospitalized. The third figurative language is cliches. The story has a cliche, "amazingly Baxter still has 8 lives after his plunge.." This goes with the cliche a cat has nine lives. The most obvious form of figurative language is personification, which is used through out the story. The author makes it seem like the cat Baxter is a human. Baxter even got an award for surviving such a huge fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment